“Les Entretiens de Royaumont” grew out of meetings and exchanges organized in the first half of the 20th century in the Abbey of Royaumont.
Henry Goüin, whose grandfather had acquired the abbey in 1905, inaugurated the Foy- er de Royaumont in 1938 as a place dedicated to the rest and work of artists and thinkers around the world. At the end of World War II, Henry Goüin invited artists and thinkers who had been victims of deportation and detention to the Foyer, renamed the Centre International de Royaumont. In 1953, it becomes the Centre Culturel de Royaumont. In 1964, Henry Goüin created, with the support of André Malraux, France’s Minister of Cultural Affairs, the Fondation Royaumont pour le progrès des sciences de l’homme.
In 2003, Jérôme Chartier, a local political leader, launched the Entretiens, as a yearly cycle of conferences aimed at imagining the future and opened to unrestricted discussions. The first conference took place the first weekend of December, and that weekend is now part of the tradition of the event.
The prestigious grounds of the abbey of Royaumont now are the site of debates about economic issues as they af- fect the future of France. Major decision-makers, entrepreneurs, and recognized experts all contribute suggestions, debunk preconceived ideas, and revive forgotten debates. Combining excellence with simplicity, and cleverness with conviviality, the Entretiens have become a unique mode of expression in an outstanding meeting place.
The Entretiens de Royaumont aim at giving men and women of all political, economic and cultural backgrounds, whatever their personal convictions, an opportunity to deliberate with complete freedom of expression. They foster reciprocal inspiration and generate ideas for political solutions.
15 years of Les Entretiens
• 2003 « Is France going backwards? »
• 2004 « Is politics a profession? »
• 2005 « Is it necessary to go away to succeed? »
• 2006 « What if you were President… »
• 2008 « Structuring French economic growth »
• 2009 « Imagining Capitalism »
• 2010 « Making a success of France in 2030 »
• 2011 « To love France »
• 2012 « Reinventing Work »
• 2013 « Building lasting relationships with emerging countries »
• 2014 « Taxes, growth and public spending: from a vicious cycle to a virtuous triangle », led by Augustin de Romanet
• 2015 « How about you, are you green? », led by Henri de Castries
• 2016 « Believer and Citizen », led by Vincent Montagne
• 2017 « Robots and Artificial Intelligence », led by Stéphane Richard
• 2018 « Being a woman », led by Patrick Pouyanné
• 2019 « Can capitalism be responsible ? », led by Jean-Dominique Sénard